Hello Coffee Lovers! We at Jones Brothers can’t stop having coffee…. even on hot summer days! Our trick to keep caffeinated and cool down is… coffee ice cream.
Here’s an easy recipe for you to prepare it at home. Let’s start ?
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole coffee beans (The Italian Lover works great!)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee
How to make it
- Start with heating the milk, sugar, (The Italian Lover) coffee beans, and 1/2 cup of cream in a medium saucepan until the mixture is quite warm (it doesn’t have to boil!). Once it is warm, you can remove it from the heat and let it cool for 1 hour (at room temperature).
- While the mixture is cooling, place a medium size metal bowl over a large bowl with ice, then pour the remaining (1) cup of cream. Set aside a mesh strainer on the top of the bowls.
- Warm up the mixture of coffee and milk, until it becomes hot again (but not boiling). Whisk the egg yolks together in a separate bowl. Slowly pour the warm coffee and milk mixture into the egg yolks, constantly whisking. The egg yolks should become lukewarm. After the composition is well mixed, put it back into the saucepan.
- Continue to stir the mixture over medium heat with a flat spatula. Mix it until it becomes thick. The process should take about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through the strainer into the cream and stir it. Press on the coffee beans to extract as much of the coffee flavour as possible, then remove them. Add the vanilla and the ground coffee and stir until the mixture is cool.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Then freeze in an ice cream maker until it’s ready to serve (make sure to check the instructions from your coffee maker’s manufacturer). Ready? Enjoy!!
- Coffee beans: Use good coffee! You can choose your favourite coffee beans from our full range of coffees. The roasting profile and the quality of the beans matter- they will change the flavour of your ice cream. Remember, the darker, the more bitterness you’ll bring to your ice-cream ?
- Don’t want that caffeine kick? If you prefer to make your ice cream without caffeine you can try the recipe using our Decaf ground coffee
- How to grind the beans for a perfect ice cream: We suggest grinding your coffee to plain medium so that you will find plenty of flavour in your ice cream. Moreover, the coffee will be large enough to use the leftover for your filter coffee later.